Employment Opportunity: Nature Interpreter (P/T contract)
Founded in 1999, the High Park Nature Centre is a not-for-profit organization that instills awareness, understanding and respect for the natural world. We engage children, youth and families in the stewardship of High Park's significant natural areas through hands-on outdoor environmental education. Our year-round programs inspire park visitors to develop closer connections with nature in their city and ensure a sustainable future for High Park for generations to come.
We are seeking a creative, innovative, and passionate educator to deliver outdoor nature education programs for children and families in High Park.
- Deliver high quality nature education programs to children and families; focussing on fun & educational birthday party programs, weekly nature clubs, and occasional school field trips;
- Collaborate with other Nature Interpreters to create and amend programming;
- Engage volunteers in programming;
- Communicate with parents and the public;
- Maintain and clean the Nature Centre; and
- Other duties as required.
- Graduate or current student of a university or college program in environmental/natural science, outdoor recreation, or education;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with children in educational/recreational programs, preferably outdoors;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Toronto’s ecology and natural history;
- Strong ability to work with children, and able to provide a positive learning experience for participants of all ages;
- Experience with behavioural management and conflict resolution;
- Demonstrated ability for effective teamwork as well as independent work;
- Creative and enthusiastic with excellent problem solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Able and willing to work outdoors in all conditions;
- Able to work evening and weekend shifts, as required;
- Current CPR and First Aid certificates or willingness to acquire; and
- Current Vulnerable Sector Check or willingness to acquire.
- Fluency in French is an asset
Spring Contract (ending June 30):
Part-time (0 - 15 hours per week). Shifts will be primarily Saturdays, Sundays and weekday evenings. Possibility of extension.
Wage: $14 / hour
Please send your resume and cover letter by Friday, January 18, 2019.
Send a resume and cover letter as one PDF file to Jon Hayes (email@example.com) and Mallory Parks (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Nature Interpreter” as the subject of your email.
In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- What do you do personally to connect with nature?
- Describe your experience working with children. What age groups have you worked with, and what was your role?