OURSpace Garden Assistants will help shape and maintain the landscape of OURSpace – our outdoor classroom and restoration space – by assisting in the ecological restoration and general care of our native plant gardens and interpretative learning stations. OURSpace is an on-going stewardship project, which aims to provide park visitors with an up-close interaction with nature while learning the importance of High Park’s rare black oak savannah ecosystem.
What you’ll be doing:
- Care for our native plants and gardens by weeding and watering
- Plant native plant seedlings during spring/fall planting seasons
- Rake and weed our accessible gravel path
- Encourage public visitors to view and interact with our interpretive learning stations in the outdoor classroom, and share basic natural history knowledge with visitors
What we are looking for:
- Passion for gardening, restoration and conservation, and/or strong appreciation of the natural world
- Basic plant identification skills and/or interest in learning plant identification
- Ability to lift, bend, and squat without much difficulty, push a wheelbarrow, and use various gardening tools with ease
What we provide you:
- Mandatory orientation session prior to starting position
- Opportunity to learn about native savannah plants as well as other wildlife in High Park
- Reference letter can be provided at your request
- Completion of high school volunteer hours
- An I love High Park t-shirt after 35 hours of volunteering
- Police record check reimbursement after 35 hours of volunteering
- Discounts to adult workshops during your time as a volunteer
Commitment: This position requires a commitment of approximately 1-2 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months. The gardening season runs from mid-April to mid-October.
Location: High Park, 375 Colborne Lodge Drive
The High Park Nature Centre values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our organization.