Donate Now
About
Experiences
What's On
Get Involved
Employment
Resources
Pigskin Poison Puffball
August 13, 2019 by Haya Aldoori

So far, the month of August has been a rainy one! The damp conditions left behind by this weather has led to many exciting late-summer fungi sightings in the shady forests of High Park. One of these sightings is the Pigskin Poison Puffball (or Common Earthball)!

The Pigskin Poison Puffball is a mycorrhizal fungi, meaning it has a symbiotic relationship with the trees in the forest. The fungi connects with the roots of the trees and exchanges water and minerals in return for carbohydrates. Both the tree and the fungi benefit from this relationship.

This fungi has quite the name, so let’s break it down! The “Pigskin” refers to the fungus’ outer surface, which is yellow-brown and has a scaly texture reminiscent of a football (American style, often called a “pigskin”). As for “Poison”, there have been some conflicting reports about whether or not this fungus is truly poisonous. However, it is generally regarded as inedible, largely due to the toxins it contains.

So what about the word “Puffball”? well, once the fungi reaches maturity, the skin of the fruit body will rupture leaving a large and odd shaped opening. From this opening, the spores inside (which have a dusty consistency) can be dispersed by the rain, the wind, or by a group of kids with the High Park Nature Centre, who are excited to see the small and dark puffs of spores shoot out of the fungi.

Keep an eye out for Poison Pigskin Puffball on your next visit to High Park’s forests!

Pigskin Poison Puffball by Andrew Yee
Stay in the loop with the Nature Centre
Sign up to receive news and updates in our bi-weekly newsletter
Copyright 2017 - High Park Nature Centre